Thursday, November 26, 2020

Betta Livida breeding project 17/10/2020: over a month old fries.

Pair 1: LM1si vs LF2tm - offspring: 34
Pair 2: LM3tm vs LF1si - offspring: 19
Breeding date: 17/10/2020

The offspring is over a month old.  They are no more the lovely, sweet little fries. Both spawns, had evolved into a more wilder version.  Ketapang and mahang leaves lying at the bottom are favorite hideouts. I notice some of them even hide at the corners within the accumulating debris. Some dash from one clump of debris to another, as some prefer to shuttle between one leaf to another. 

When they are at one to 2 week old, I can almost hand feed them. They show their hunting skill, coiling up their little bodies and dash to snap live food. They get accustomed to my presence I assumed . I thought that's  going to last forever, that docile behavior. Now, they learn about safety as in the wild, and they even treat me as intruder. Alas..

Food is still artemia and monia macrocopa. Once a week, I give them little snacks of dried egg yolk and crushed pellets. For artemia, electricity can be off. Even monia culture may crash. So the little livida babies has to be versatile with food.  Covid19 movement control order (mco) is a blessing, that we are advised to stay safe at home. Betta Livida fries can count on me to feed them live food, 24/7.  

Their time is more within hideouts now. Water change gives the opportunity to see them and count them, and assess their growth. The other day I saw one dead, less than 24 hours I guess, judging by its condition.  The rest are fine. One death is still a cause for alarm. Frequent water change, and regular adds on of ketapang leaves are all I can think of for now.

Pic 1: Only 1 fry seen above pegaga leaf

Pic 2:  spawn 2- they are all hiding

pic 3: spawn 1 - they are all hiding



I am now getting into water parameters with the newly bought Ph and TDS meter. So future post will be accompanied with numbers!

I hate counting when they are darting all over the place.  Close to accurate counting shows total as 53.  I guess, the number can only be exact when I put them in jars. That would be months to go.

bangchik
seri iskandar perak




No comments:

Post a Comment

Describing betta livida seri iskandar